Requesting This Course:
- For information on requesting this course for your organization through our Speakers Bureau program, please contact Millie Morehouse at [email protected].
- To check if this course is being offered by an Approved Instructor, search our Event Calendar.
This advanced level course will enhance your skills to provide effective emotional and spiritual care (ESC) to meet the disaster-related needs of disaster responders and disaster-affected families and individuals within disaster operations. This course builds on the crisis intervention principles taught in the Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) core courses to effectively integrate these principles within ESC teams for appropriate care throughout the disaster continuum from the immediate to the long-term recovery process.
This course is designed for trained clergy, chaplains, mental health professionals, and CISM trained crisis responders who desire to enhance their skills in providing Emotional and Spiritual Care to survivors of disaster and trauma.
Suggested but not mandatory prerequisites: Assisting Individuals in Crisis (also known as Individual Crisis Intervention & Peer Support); Group Crisis Intervention; Pastoral Crisis Intervention.
- One’s own faith tradition and ESC
- ESC & the Incident Command System
- ESC & disaster relief operations
- Physical, psychological, emotional impact of disasters
- Behavioral, interpersonal and spiritual impact of disasters
- Range of ESC interventions in the aftermath
- Suitability to provide ESC
- Maintaining health during deployment
- Deployment personal care plans
- Intervention and care giving concepts
Continuing Education Information:
Two-Day Course: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
General Contact Hours:
14 Contact Hours: 1.4 General CEUs from University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) Dept. of Emergency Health Services Professional and Continuing Education (PACE)
*Based on a formula of 1 Continuing Education Unit for every 10 contact/classroom hours.
Profession Specific Contact Hours:
- 14 PDHs for EAPs (Expiration Date – May 31, 2020) Renewal Pending
- 14 CE Credits for National Certified Addiction Counselors (Expiration Date – March 1, 2021)
*PLEASE NOTE: These hours are only applicable towards courses offered at Regional Trainings, Online Courses, and World Congress.
Approved Instructor Courses:
It is up to the Approved Instructors or sponsoring agency to apply for profession specific Continuing Education Unit’s if they choose. Learn more on our CEU Information page.
** Please check with your state licensing board prior to registration to see if they will accept the certificate of completion as a means for continuing education.