Requesting This Course:
- For information on the Online version of this course, please click here for more information.
- This course will be offered as a Remote Learning – Virtual Training! Learn More & Register.
- For information on requesting this course for your organization through our Speakers Bureau program, please contact Millie Morehouse at [email protected].
- To check if this course is being offered by an Approved Instructor, search our Event Calendar.
Designed to prepare school administrators and all educators for the inevitable crises that occur within schools and/or that effect those in schools, this training reflects the 3 most common phases of a crisis: pre-crisis planning, acute crisis response and post-crisis activities. Special attention is given to the most common pitfalls (those that pose the most threat to school personnel from a liability standpoint) associated with crisis response activities.Participants of this training are introduced to the CISM framework and specific intervention techniques that can easily be applied within the school setting. These intervention techniques are research-informed and widely recognized for their effectiveness. Participants will be given opportunities to explore the elements of effective crisis management through multiple group activities.
Group Crisis Intervention is recommended as a prerequisite but not required as an overview of intervention techniques will be provided.
- Prevalence and nature of school crisis
- Traumatic stress on learning and school milieu
- Major components of crisis management
- Specific goals of crisis intervention and crisis management
- “Standard of Care” as it relates to school crisis management
- CISM as a model of crisis intervention
- Unique role and needs of the building administrator
- Group intervention techniques for school personnel
- Protocol used for large incidents
- Respond to and manage a large-scale incident
Certificates and Continuing Education:
General Contact Hours:
Two-Day Course; 14 Contact Hours: 1.4 General CEUs from University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) Dept. of Emergency Health Services Professional and Continuing Education (PACE). Based on a formula of 1 Continuing Education Unit for every 10 contact/classroom hours.
ICISF Certificate of Completion:
After the completion of this ICISF course, with verified full attendance, participants are eligible to receive an electronic ICISF Certificate of Completion including General Continuing Education Units. Participants are required to complete a course evaluation prior to receiving this Certificate of Completion.
Completion of ICISF courses and receipt of an ICISF Certificate of Completion does not attest to competence in the field, nor does it provide certification in the field of CISM.
Profession Specific CEUs:
If you are seeking continuing education requirements for a specific profession, contacting the relevant state licensing board is the best way to ensure you have the most up-to-date and accurate information. They can provide you with specific details regarding whether a Certificate of Completion from a particular course or program will be accepted towards your continuing education requirements.
If the ICISF course you attend is offered through:
ICISF Virtual Training, Online Training, or Regional Training, it is approved for the following:
- EAPA – Employee Assistance Professionals Association
14 PDHs; Expiration Date – April 11, 2024
ICISF Speakers Bureau Program: It is up to the Sponsoring Agency to apply for profession-specific Continuing Education Units (CEUs) if they choose to do so.
ICISF Approved-Instructor led Program: While our Approved Instructors have the authority to teach specific ICISF courses, it is their responsibility to apply for profession-specific Continuing Education Units (CEUs) if they choose to do so.
** Please check with your state licensing board prior to registration to see if they will accept the Certificate of Completion as a means for continuing education.
*PLEASE NOTE: These hours are only applicable towards courses offered at Virtual Trainings, Regional Trainings, Online Courses, and the World Congress.