Requesting This Course:
- For information on requesting this course for your organization through our Speakers Bureau program, please contact Millie Morehouse at [email protected].
- To check if this course is being offered by an Approved Instructor, search our Event Calendar.
Educators nationwide and worldwide struggle to establish and manage School Crisis Response Teams in response to the recent escalation in frequency and scope of campus emergencies. Community CISM teams have much to offer, but much to learn about the unique milieu of schools. Similarly, schools can benefit from CISM technology and strategies. This course attempts to develop a common language and approach that fits within the broad goals and specific needs of school crisis management. Working together in multi-disciplinary teams, we explore organizing principles, develop specific skills and culminate in a large incident planning simulation.
The Group Crisis Intervention course is recommended as a prerequisite but not required, as an overview of techniques will be provided. This course is designed for anyone with working in or with those in an educational setting.
- Prevalence and effects of crisis on school performance
- The comprehensive nature of crisis management
- Developing a crisis plan
- Intervention techniques
- Effects of traumatic stress on learning and the school milieu
- Specific goals of crisis response
- Unique role and needs of building administrators
- Mitigating the effects of a crisis
- Responding to and managing a school-based crisis
- Signs and symptoms of excessive stress
Continuing Education Information:
Two-Day Course: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
General Contact Hours:
14 Contact Hours: 1.4 General CEUs from University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) Dept. of Emergency Health Services Professional and Continuing Education (PACE)
*Based on a formula of 1 Continuing Education Unit for every 10 contact/classroom hours.
*PLEASE NOTE: These hours are only applicable towards courses offered at Regional Trainings, Online Courses, and World Congress.
Approved Instructor Courses:
It is up to the Approved Instructors or sponsoring agency to apply for profession specific Continuing Education Unit’s if they choose. Learn more on our CEU Information page.
** Please check with your state licensing board prior to registration to see if they will accept the certificate of completion as a means for continuing education.