Requesting This Course:
- For information on requesting this course for your organization through our Speakers Bureau program, please contact Millie Morehouse at [email protected].
- To check if this course is being offered by an Approved Instructor, search our Event Calendar.
This important course is for all who work with traumatized people. Explore the “Stress Continuum,” the levels of stress including eustress (i.e., beneficial, motivating stress), traumatic stress, burnout, countertransference, compassion fatigue or secondary PTSD, and vicarious traumatization which may occur as a result of helping others. A discussion of coping strategies for those who work with traumatized children will also be offered. Individual self-report exercises and an experiential group support session will assist the participating trauma provider in assessing their own level of stress through sharing personal experiences with others. Stress management self care techniques will be presented, experienced and discussed. This course is appropriate for all mental health professionals, emergency services personnel, and peer counselors.
- The “Stress continuum”
- Signs and symptoms of excessive stress
- Stress as related to work as a “trauma provider”
- A variety of stress management techniques
- Stress management in relation to “context”
- Vicarious traumatization, compassion fatigue and burnout
- Stress “resilience”
- Achieve resilience and effective self care
- Motivating factors for the work we do
- Working with trauma survivors
Continuing Education Information:
Two-Day Course: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
General Contact Hours:
13 Contact Hours: 1.3 General CEUs from University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) Dept. of Emergency Health Services Professional and Continuing Education (PACE)
*Based on a formula of 1 Continuing Education Unit for every 10 contact/classroom hours.
Profession Specific Contact Hours:
- 13 PDHs for EAPs (Expiration Date – May 31, 2021)
- 13 CE Credits for National Certified Addiction Counselors (Expiration Date – March 1, 2021)
*PLEASE NOTE: These hours are only applicable towards courses offered at Regional Trainings, Online Courses, and World Congress.
Approved Instructor Courses:
It is up to the Approved Instructors or sponsoring agency to apply for profession specific Continuing Education Unit’s if they choose. Learn more on our CEU Information page.
** Please check with your state licensing board prior to registration to see if they will accept the certificate of completion as a means for continuing education.