Requesting This Course:
- This course is being offered at the following upcoming Regional Training. Click on the city name for further information and registration: Baltimore, MD.
- For information on requesting this course for your organization through our Speakers Bureau program, please contact Millie Morehouse at [email protected].
- To check if this course is being offered by an Approved Instructor, search our Event Calendar.
Why do people kill themselves? How do I ask someone if they are feeling suicidal? What do I do if they say they ARE suicidal? How do I deal with the strong emotions suicide generates? This course will provide answers for these and other questions many of crisis interventionists have about suicide. It will provide participants with basic information about suicide as well as help participants develop practical skills for prevention, intervention and postvention. Small group role plays will allow participants to apply the suggested techniques as they are learned.
This course is open to anyone who wishes to learn more about intervening across the suicide spectrum. Professionals from the fields of Business & Industry Crisis Intervention, Disaster Response, Education, Emergency Services, Employee Assistance, Healthcare, Homeland Security, Mental Health, Military, Spiritual Care, and Traumatic Stress may all benefit.
- Common myths about suicide
- Risk factors for suicidal behavior
- Frequent motivations for suicide
- Problem solving methods
- Effective intervention strategies
- Elements of effective postvention
- Elements of survivor grief
- Community referral sources
- “Mini-lecture” on suicide
- Feelings and reactions of suicide survivors
Continuing Education Information:
Two-Day Course: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
General Contact Hours:
14 Contact Hours: 1.4 General CEUs from UMBC Training Centers
Profession Specific Contact Hours:
14 PDHs for EAPs, 14 CE Credits for National Certified Addiction Counselors
*PLEASE NOTE: These hours are only applicable towards courses offered at Regional Trainings, Online Courses, and World Congress.
Approved Instructor Courses:
It is up to the Approved Instructors or sponsoring agency to apply for profession specific Continuing Education Unit’s if they choose. Learn more on our CEU Information page.
** Please check with your state licensing board prior to registration to see if they will accept the certificate of completion as a means for continuing education.