Requesting This Course:
- For information on requesting this course for your organization through our Speakers Bureau program, please contact Millie Morehouse at [email protected].
- To check if this course is being offered by an Approved Instructor, search our Event Calendar.
Suicide provides unique challenges to both the professional caregiver and those within the informal support system. This course will help define challenges for those faced with providing crisis intervention with suicidal people and their support systems. It seeks to examine evidence-based concepts and gives practical tools to equip helpers with suicide awareness, professional referral, peer support intervention and supporting survivors in the aftermath of a suicide completion. The course is interactive and uses lecture, small and large group discussion, role-plays, and video interviews with survivors and experienced leaders in the field of suicidology.
1. Identify current relevant suicide data relating to demographics, means and methods
2. Explore the relevant research surrounding the suicidal mind
3. List key risk and protective factors to protect and support suicidal individuals
4. Identify important myths surrounding suicide
5. Identify an evidence-based model for suicide intervention and supporting suicidal individuals
6. Explain how to educate support systems on restricting access to lethal means
7. Articulate ways to support survivors in the immediate aftermath
8. Identify elements of suicide grief and utilize key tools for both immediate response to survivors long-term grief recovery
9. Identify key suicide prevention and support resources to assist families, organizations and communities
Continuing Education Information:
General Contact Hours:
14 Contact Hours: 1.4 General CEUs from University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) Dept. of Emergency Health Services Professional and Continuing Education (PACE)
*Based on a formula of 1 Continuing Education Unit for every 10 contact/classroom hours.
Profession Specific Contact Hours:
- 14 PDHs for EAPs (Expiration Date – May 31, 2023)
- 14 CE Credits for National Certified Addiction Counselors (Expiration Date – February 28, 2023)
*PLEASE NOTE: These hours are only applicable towards courses offered at Live Trainings, Regional Trainings, Online Courses, and the World Congress.
Approved Instructor Courses:
It is up to the Approved Instructors or sponsoring agency to apply for profession specific Continuing Education Unit’s if they choose. Learn more on our CEU Information page.
** Please check with your state licensing board prior to registration to see if they will accept the certificate of completion as a means for continuing education.