Requesting This Course:
- This course is being offered at the following upcoming Regional Training. Click on the city name for further information and registration: Baltimore, MD.
- For information on requesting this course for your organization through our Speakers Bureau program, please contact Millie Morehouse at [email protected].
All Mental Health professionals know that we need to understand the cultural setting of our clients to provide the most effective interventions. This is also true for working with First Responders. For the purposes of this training, First Responders are identified as those individuals who work as: Dispatchers, Law Enforcement Officers, Correctional Officers, Firefighters, and Emergency Medical personnel.
There are some issues/stressors that cut across all of these professions, but also some that are more unique to the specific group. This course identifies the cultures of each profession and their unique stressors. The various CISM courses teach a variety of group approaches to crisis intervention, but what about the follow-up if an individual comes to us for assistance not related to a Critical Incident? First Responders can have a variety of life issues including marital problems, family issues, depression, substance abuse struggles, PTSD, etc. We need to understand the unique stress of their professions and how those might impact their non-professional lives in order to offer the most effective help.
This class will provide information about first responders’ cultures and opportunities for discussion regarding adapting our clinical approach to meet the needs of first responders.
- First Responder cultures
- Unique stressors in the First Responder world
- The “functional dysfunctionalities” that work for First Responders on the job
- The “resistance, resilience, recovery” continuum
- Intervention skills and resources that are relevant to First Responders
Continuing Education Information:
One-Day Course: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
*PLEASE NOTE: These hours are only applicable towards courses offered at Regional Trainings, Online Courses, and World Congress.