Requesting This Course:
- This course is being offered at the Baltimore MD Regional Training! Learn More & Register.
- This course is being offered as a Remote Learning – Live Training! Learn More & Register.
This program trains participants in effective De-escalation skills from a variety of perspectives. Lessons learned about assessing, intervening, and monitoring the effectiveness of de-escalation will be reviewed. Participants will learn recent developments in the psychology of extreme escalation. We will also focus on the mental preparation skills that can lead to effective intervention under stress. Skill based scenario training will be used to increase participants confidence in their ability to effectively intervene with those in extreme crisis. The program is designed for those who serve on the front line including public safety, first responders, health care providers, mental health professionals, crisis workers, and social service professionals.
- The demand for effective De-escalation skills
- Introduction and overview of the crisis escalation process
- Recognizing early warning signs of escalation
- Safety concerns : Recognizing signs of impending violence
- Mental Preparation to intervene effectively
- Verbal De-escalation Techniques – Listening and Responding
- Assessing key themes driving the escalation
- Problem solving under stress
- Trauma-Informed De-escalation
- States of mind and De-escalation: What we know about changing states
Continuing Education Information: