ICISF is the leading international provider for peer support, psychological, and emotional first aid necessary to transform lives and help revitalize communities in the aftermath of catrastrophe.
ICISF cofounders Dr. Jeffery Mitchell, PhD, CCISM and Dr. George Everly, PhD, CCISM have been presenting Peer Support training for over 30 years. Though the name of the model has changed and some components have been challenged, CISM fundamentally remains a program of peer support and mental wellness for those who experience crises.
Resources on this page may be of interest to assorted professions and occupational settings, span a variety of content and will use numerous formats.
We hope you find postings of interest. Please let us know your thoughts and ideas on how to make this page a resource for you!
Crisis, Stress and Human Resilience: An International Journal
A multidisciplinary, quarterly, online, open access journal. The Journal strives to publish cutting edge papers which will further effective practice, program development, research, and general understanding, as well as innovative and even well-supported speculative thinking.
11/20/19 Giving thanks and gratitude...
Our information revolution and post-industrial society has created more service industries than ever before with an emphasis on community wellness and taking care of each other being a common goal.
The African proverb "it takes a village" often refers to the myriad of people, their actions and collaborative efforts and how it benefits their community. Although traditionally those in emergency services and/or public safety are recognized as helpers and often heroes, sometimes other professionals and lay persons are able to put their talents and specialties into helping others.
Musicians, farmers, scientists, survivors and caregivers all do their part to make a difference. Here's to those who make it happen:
- Threads of Hope: International Survivors of Suicide Loss
- Georgia Farm helps struggling veterans find connections and belonging as they care for the land and animals
- Anti-Inflammatory Agents Can Effectively And Safely Curb Major Depressive Symptoms
- Musicians being upfront about his own vulnerabilities — including dealing with mental health struggles — through his music and in person
- The "good road map" to being a caregiver. Provided by AARP Family Caregiving: The Military Caregiving Guide
Thanks and gratitude to our village!
11/6/19 In the news.....
Coverage on menta health has increased, focusing on changing the culture of mental health in high stress occupations and altering the stigma of suicide. Here are few recent examples:
- Police Officers vow to address cop suicide crisis
- Stopping the Stigma
- First Responders struggle with PTSD
- Helping Correctional Officers Improve Mental Health
- How PTSD and Depression Haunts First Responders Even after the Job is Over